Friday, March 16, 2007

Hupomone–"...noblest of New Testament words"

If you have followed the comments of the first ever Gringo’s Escape post, you know the discussion. I doubt I could do it justice to attempt to summarize, but McDust rightly points out that individuals are different and that our Christian lives, our walk with God, is not going to be the same for every Christian. Dusty McDust asserts (I think! I warn again of an inadequate summary) that one individual may be convicted of sin, but that individual may not move far from that initial point of Justification along the scale of Sanctification. McDust’s man might find himself continually buffeted by the harsh winds of life’s misfortunes and otherwise is unable to rise above the shame of Spiritual failures, to-wit: he doesn’t grow as a Christian.

I recognize indeed, contrary to the name-it-and-claim-it crowd, that Jesus doesn’t promise us rose gardens. He never tried to sell us a green prosperity handkerchief. [yep, there actually is such a salesman, pretending to be a man of God, on tv--a disgrace to God and His Church.] I say all that to continue to assert, with caution and restraint, that God never intended us to go through life without His strength that sustains us through anything this corrupt earth and fallen mankind can throw at us, not to forget the evil power who gleefully caused it all to become corrupted in the first place. (I make no pretense of knowing our sovereign God’s purpose in allowing the devil to do the dirty work.)

We probably all remember that Paul said he had learned to give thanks in whatever bad circumstances he found himself. And he found himself in many bad circumstances! He teaches us that we have the treasure of God’s Word "in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair, persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." 2 Cor. 4:7-9 (NIV)

Oh, sure, easy for Paul to say! Or is it? Perhaps Paul really meant what he said when he gave practical advice in Galations 5. He wrote of the contrast of sinful nature(vs 19)with the fruit of the Spirit. Paul, assisted by his excellent Ghost Writer, also listed the fruit of the Spirit: "...love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." (from 5:22-23) Verse 25: "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." He warned those who lived according to the detailed list of ways man is sinful that they will not inherit the kingdom of God. Ohhh, sounds legalistic, doesn’t he?

In the "fruit of the Spirit" list, what the NIV translated "patience" is called "longsuffering" by the KJV. Both are good translations, yet...not quite perfect! I wish to get pedantic and look at a couple of Greek words. I could call upon my own resources, for I know a little Greek and I know a little Hebrew, however, the little Greek could not leave his restaurant nor could the little Hebrew close his shop. With that old joke out of the way, I’ll assure you I’m going to rely on published theologians.

Makrothumia–--William Barclay calls it a "biblical word." It is the steadfastness that will never give in. Patient endurance gives us one thread of the meaning. For example, we wait for the coming of the Lord. The Lord is entitled to destroy sinful man, but He forbears and we have still opportunity to grow as Christians. Another thread of meaning goes along these lines: As God is patient with us, forbears and withholds His wrath, therefore we should have this same attitude towards our fellow men. (Try teaching the idea of forebearance, not retaliating to an insult or ‘disrespect’ to a youth street gang and they would mock and laugh...before they shot you.)

The title of this post uses Hupomone. Not only does Barclay call it a noble word, but says it describes a ‘manly virtue’. "Normally it is translated ‘patience’ or ‘endurance’, but...there is no single English word which transmits all the fullness of its meaning." So I refer to both words, because it seems the translators use them in almost the same way. They seem to have about the same definition.

Tribulation produces Hupomone. It is a word that seems to often describe the martyrs’ strength to endure obediently, even almost joyfully, even unto death. "The testing of faith produces ‘patience’ (James 1:3). It is hupomone which perfects faith." Hupomone, i.e., patience and comfort, produces "hope". (The quotations are from Barclay as well as my gleaning of meaning)

Paul uses hupomone in Colossians 1:10-12: "...that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light." (NIV with added italics for emphasis)

Only this same Spirit that brought you to salvation can enable us to develop endurance and patience. By the testing that is ours to endure we develop hupomone. I close with another good thought from Barclay about hupomone: "It is the virtue which can transmute the hardest trial into glory because beyond the pain it sees the goal."

23 comments:

Gordan said...

I think I understand Dustin's main point: that not all Christians progress to the same point in their practical, day-to-day sanctification. And, that, further, there's a sense in which that has no impact on their salvation. Two Christians, one mature and one still fairly "rough" around the edges may die in one car wreck and both go to the same heaven.

But I do have a bit of a problem with the way this was phrased in the other comments section. At one point he proposes that a true Christian may bear no other fruit than shame for his sins. I don't see the Biblical support for a statement like that. I mean, in the case of one who goes on to live in the body for some time after his conversion (the theif on the cross had no time for fruit bearing...)

And in another place, Dustin suggested that Sanctification differs from Justification in that the latter is monergistic (all of God, and none of man)while the former represents a process of cooperation between God and the redeemed man. Dustin talks also of the man "trying his best" for his whole redeemed life, etc.

It's quite easy to slip into this line of thinking, but I am convinced that it is wrong. True sanctification does not come by trying harder, or working more closely with God, or being more diligent in the use of the gifts we've been given. It comes by faith. It comes by belief and trust; and those are all of God.

Dustin's words there seem to come dangerously close to the Galatian error, of thinking that those who begin in the Spirit are then perfected in the strength of the flesh. (Galatians 3:3) I think I know him well enough to know that probably isn't what he intended.

I think he's simply saying that it is interesting to see that God doesn't bring every Christian to the same level of "fruitfulness" at least as our eyes may see it. And that's okay.

Dustin said...

That "doing our best" til we die thing also includes faith and trust. Sometimes you really do have to decide to have faith -- you have to decide to choose the "trusting God" route over the route your fears would have you take.

I did say "in cooperation with God," in that stuff about the difference between the J and S of salvation. I didn't mean to imply that Sanctification is all human effort (and I don't think I did). But, yeah, the fact that it does heavily involve human effort is a huge factor, I think, in some Christians doing really well and some not.

Gordan said...

McDust,

I'd like to explore those thoughts just a bit.

I'd agree completely that we are often faced with times when we must decide to have faith, or choose to trust. But, having made the right decision, can we claim to have done a good work, or should we give all thanks to God for not allowing us to wallow in our natural unbelief?

I know that you are Calvinist in your soteriology, and so would deny that the "choice" to believe in Jesus initially has anything to do with human effort. Now it seems that you're willing to say that after Justification, though faith and trust were formerly monergistic (all of God,) now in Sanctification...what...we have more control over faith than we had?

I'm wondering what leads you to assert that sanctification involves human effort?

Dustin said...

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for the idea that it's ALL God all the way, no matter what, no matter when. I just see, as el Gringo points out, that Paul's letters are packed full of exhortations to, basically, do your best 'til you die. Don't do the wrong things, do the right things, etc... I don't know why Paul would harp so much on saved people to act better if those people didn't play some real part in how they were acting.

Dustin said...

Adding to that a little (I just had to leave for a while, didn't know if I'd get back in time to say anything else), I do believe that God has full control over every stage of our existence.

So, I guess maybe I could/should adjust my view of what I've always thought of as "sanctification." It's actually relieving to think of our progress and maturing as NOT dependent on anything we choose to do or don't do. The idea that it IS has been disturbing to me for quite some time.

Namely, it seems absurd to think that God is somehow pleased with a saved person's lame efforts to "be good," simply because the person is saved, since God is only pleased with perfection, and only He is perfection, which is the whole point of the substitutionary atonement. God is only "pleased" with those whom Christ is substituting for (i.e. He's only pleased with Christ), regardless of how "good" a Christian the person might be, or become. We're imperfect the whole time we're alive on this earth -- therefore God can't stand us, regardless of our "sanctification level", without Jesus standing in for us.

That makes sense to me. Striving to be a "better person" as a Christian, and thinking that makes us more pleasing to God, doesn't.

I guess "sanctification" is still a bit of a puzzle to me, really.

Gringo said...

As always when I know I have recently been impressed with a quotation that is rather exact to the issue, I can't find it.

But I had a good personal review of a fine book in looking and found other good thoughts. To keep square with the copyright laws, let me try to be scholarly here. I am about to quote a few lines from Sproul, "Chosen By God," 1986, Tyndale House Publisher, Inc. I realize that Scripture outweighs any human author, nevertheless, I find R.C.Sproul's books always well written with biblical support.

I think the following is in line with the issue of Sanctification:

"Our confidence in the perseverance of the saints does not rest upon our confidence in the saints' ability, in themselves, to persevere." Then Sproul speaks of preferring to speak of "preservation of the saints."

"The reason true Christians do not fall from grace is that God graciously keeps them from falling. Perseverance is what we do. Preservation is what God does. We persevere because God preserves."

I'll keep trying to find that partcular quote that is now haunting me. It seems biblically clear, however, that God desires obedience and that we learn and grow in grace. Yet, our sovereign God is sovereign indeed. We could not grow without His influencing our will to desire God. "Faith is active to produce good works." --James.

Dustin said...

Yep, I'm totally there with that P of TULIP (as well as those other letters). In fact, salvation isn't salvation at all without the P. "You're saved -- but you can lose it by being bad again." Makes no sense. I have no idea why so many people think that's a great idea. I'd rather die than be cursed with that kind of salvation.

And Gordan's thoughts are helping me sort out some of my own thoughts on "sanctification". I'm happy about that. (Not blaming myself so much for my chronic bouts with weak to barely detectable faith and the absence of any sense of a "personal" relationship. God has His purposes in all of it, and I'm just along for His crazy ride. And thankful for His saving grace. It's all I have -- it's all anyone has, really.)

Gringo said...

I'm about to quote more. That seems to be my custom, because (1) who would be impressed with a layman's thoughts regarding theological issues, (2) my professional training is that our opinions are unimportant unless we have good, persuasive sources, and (3) the writers are published because they write well and say it better than I could ever paraphrase.

So here goes a couple of more quotations that seem to add to this discussion. Starting with R.C.Sproul, "Chosen By God," once again:

"Here is where we must understand the relationship of perseverance to preservation. Perseverance is both a grace and a duty. We are to strive with all our might in our spiritual walk. Humanly speaking, it is possible to fall away. Yet as we strive we are to look to God who is preserving us."

Of course, that needs to be viewed in the context of other quotes in my last post. Seems to me, it is extremely important that we "do not quench the Spirit," that Spirit working for our sanctification. We must do the good deeds that the Spirit's working and His engineering of ever circumstance presents us to do. As 2 Cor. 5:17 says, "If anyone is in Christ he is a new creation...." Because we are made new I think we may not realize that we are even doing good deeds, i.e., would we stop to help a poor woman stranded in a snow bank? Even if it were of considerable inconvenience to us? Yes, and perhaps we'd never stop to seek God's guidance before we did it! It is what we've become. My wife has what she thinks is a funny a story about me. She noticed I hesitated in inviting a goofball sort of fellow to temporarily use my favorite putter because he had left his on the last hole. I explained the absolute truth to her--that I decided to pray about whether I should and I seemed to gain this definite "feeling" as plain as a spoken word. "You know what to do. Why are you praying?" I immediately let him use my putter--and he didn't damage it!

Okay, that little story did have a point and it leads me to my next quotation, this one from Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Hightest." (This is probably one of the better known Christian classics).

Under the heading, "Friendship With God" Chambers wrote:

"This friendship means being so intimately in touch with God that you never even have to ask Him to show you His will. ...When you have a right relationship with God, you have a life of freedom, liberty and delight; you are God's will. And all of your commonsense decisions are actually His will for you, unless you sense a feeling of restraint brought on by a check in your spirit." (Btw, that was in the March 20th meditation.)

We have to act and do--Yes, I think so--but drudgery becomes delight when we are obedient to Him. And our "doing" is simply doing what God enabled us to do, prepared our will that we act as we should because it is...just the way God made us--or re-made us.

Dustin said...

Those are good thoughts.

I like Oswald Chambers.

Gordan said...

Gringo,

I'd cool it with all the quotes. They're wonderful and all that. But, generally I've found that if people show up at your blog, it's because they want to know what you have to say.

If I want to read Sproul, I'll go read Sproul. He's got his own website.

This is especially true in the comments section. In my opinion, the comments section is more like a conversation. In the middle of talking to people, you wouldn't go dig up a book and hunt around and then read them a page here and there...would you?

Just something to consider. Dispense with the "Aw, shucks, I'm just a nobody" routine. If people think that, then they won't show up, and you don't need to worry about them.

Gringo said...

Gordan

I think maybe what you say is very true. It's possible you may not have mentioned the biggest problem with my writing: I tend to get going and keep on going.

I've always thought that a good short quote, to the point at issue, is often a welcome break for the reader and in disputed topics is welcome confirmation. Still, I agree with you that the main post is a better place to entertain the habit of confirmation of the point and to be longer.

I take your ideas to heart and while I can't promise perfect reformation I will be mindful and surely improvement will result.

Lastly, I've heard that using the thoughts, work and ideas of one source is plagarism; using the thought of several is research! I may be unduly ready to give credit to where it belongs. Yet, there are so many gems of cultural, historial, theological "out there" that it is impossible most of the time to even find the original or first exposition.

Well, I'm going on and on again. I will...really will!...work on those ideas you set forth.

Gordan said...

Well, nothing wrong with giving credit where it's due, but I think you can do that by saying, "I think I recall Bonhoeffer saying something like this" and then recalling it best you can.

I personally feel no need to write out all the copyright info every single time I want to reference somebody else's thoughts. Maybe you do that in a main post, but I certainly wouldn't bother in the Comments. Think "conversation."

Dustin said...

I'd say I most take issue with what you list as #2 of your 3 reasons for quoting sources -- that our opinions are unimportant unless we have good, persuasive sources.

At some point back in history, someone articulated an "unsourced" opinion, which ended up getting referenced, by someone who got referenced, by someone who got reference, etc...

Your own opinion, if well-reasoned and well-stated -- not necessarily well-sourced -- is no less valid (or important) than Augustine's.

Just an unreferenced thought. :)

Gordan said...

Hmmm, Gringo's life must be super-swell, as he hadn't had to "escape" to his blogging for a couple of weeks.

Gringo said...

Hey, thanks fellows. I'm not even sure I've checked my own blog in the last few days. It's approaching Easter and I was hoping to get some Easter material on, but am caught up in the psychological study of atheists. :o) I could have escaped to my blog, but it was so nice out today that I walked about 3.5 miles today just comtemplating several gigantic issues crucial to the world and global warming. I'll try to get some stuff on soon so stay tuned.

Huh? Wow! Now I was going along with you, McDust, until you said that about my well stated opinion maybe being as good as Augustine. Wow, I'm one heck of a blogger and never knew it! From now on, I expect to be called Saint Gringo! Okay, guys? Just a little show of respect here! That's all I'm asking.

Gordan said...

Hey, Gringo, about that Revelation 13 thing we emailed about: don't leave me hanging! I'm going to post on the Preterist interpretation on Wednesday or Thursday, and I'd like to be able to look at your stuff by right around that time, in view of posting something on it around Sunday or so. No pressure, but hurry!

Dustin said...

I definitely threw in those qualifiers now -- "if well-reasoned and well-stated" -- let's not get ahead of our saintly selves.

Anonymous said...

I am a faithful Christian and have been thinking about the word 'hupomone'. It seems that it is the 'word of the year' for me. I decided to Google it, and consequently found your blog. I'm wondering if that same word is used in Romans 5:3-4, or if it's something slightly different. I notice that all of the blogs are more than a year old; are you still there?

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Free pills neomercazole Discount adalat No prescription acne-n-pimple cream Visa/Mastercard/Amex/eCheck zestril 25mg actos Pharmacy gasex

Anonymous said...

Search engine Optimization
very usfeul, thanx a lot for this article .... Thie was what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

hot rod magazine smokey yunick dodge omni car laptop mounting car hire with dr10 car angles dodge journey dimensions

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.c-online-casino.co.uk/]uk bonus casino[/url] check the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino games[/url] unshackled no set aside bonus at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatchcasino
[/url].